There’s an alien next door. And with his looming height and eerie green eyes, he’s hot… until he opens his mouth. He’s infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, he marks me. Turns out he has a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal his abilities and the only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to him until my alien mojo fades. If I don’t kill him first, that is.
Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems. I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?
Pages: 800 (both books in one)
Genres: Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, Sci-Fi
Publisher: June 3rd 2014 by Entangled: Teen
Format: Bought, Paperback
Rating: ✮✮✮✮ (4/5)
Ayyy! Having two books in one is super duper convenient because if the first one has a cliff-hanger you don’t have to high-tail it to the nearest bookstore, you can just turn the page! How cool is that???
I’m going to be reviewing this as one book, not two because my thoughts are pretty much the same for both books.
- Dee and Katy’s friendship is by far one of my favorite things in things in this series! Dee is so kind, and it’s just sososo refreshing (and almost surprising) to see a solid friendship between two females in YA fiction. If you really think about it, how often do these types of friendships occur in YA? Not very often! So needless to say, I was so happy about this!!
- Katy is so relatable! Like, she has a book blog, I got a book blog. She loves attractive guys, I love attractive guys. See? Pretty much the same person. But in all seriousness, Katy’s character was very realistic. She had flaws and made mistakes, but was also funny and enjoyable at the same time!
- The pacing was great! I was never bored while reading this, and it definitely helped me work through a reading slump/busy times. Obsidian and Onyx aren’t exactly what i’d call “deep” reads, so I wouldn’t suggest them if that’s what you’re looking for, but just because they aren’t deep doesn’t mean they aren’t good! You just gotta be in the right mood for ’em!
- I know Daemon means well, but some of his actions kinda concern me. I get that he wants to protect Katy and keep her safe, but like isn’t there a point where it becomes too overbearing (I got some Tamlin flashbacks from ACOMAF & ewewew)??? Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed his character most of the time, but some things he did just made me go eeeeehhahaaNO. I found that the whole beating up/getting overly jealous of any guy who looked at Katy was a bit much (though Simon did end up deserving it, but STILL!) And also the whole “You’re mine” rubs me the wrong way because Katy isn’t an object that he can just claim!!!!
But, I mean other than that
- You can see the villains from a mile away which kind of takes the surprise element out of the story which makes Hannah 😦
BUT then again, I did say it wasn’t a super “deep” novel so ’twas okay with me!
Anywho! Thanks for reading this review! I will definitely be continuing with this series later on (because Harry Potter just came out and I gotta five dive into that one!). Tell me what you thought about this series in the comments ❤